Are you a perfect proofreader?
It’s a challenge for business writers to write as much as they do without having an error or typo slip by every once in a while.
Very few people can say they’re perfect when it comes to composing and sending flawless documents. Just ask any author who spots a glaring error in his or her newly published book. And that’s after it’s gone through professional proofreading.
Some of the mistakes to watch for when proofreading include repeated words, typographical errors, incorrect words, transposed numbers, and formatting errors.
Mistakes happen, but they can be reduced. In addition to using your software’s grammar checker and spell checker, here are some tips for taking the pain out of proofreading:
- Read the document out loud to let your ears help your eyes catch mistakes.
- Read the document slowly and deliberately.
- For longer documents, print them to help spot errors.
- Print the document and read it away from your desk.
- Double check numbers and tabulations; check against the original copy.
- Ask someone you trust to read it; if a set of instructions have someone follow them.